Quiche your heart out Posted on 11 Feb 13:03 , 0 comments
Good eats are the focus of today's lifestyle blog. Long have we heard the adage of reaching a man's heart through his stomach. Come to find out, this 1960's era mantra applies to ladies and kids too! I wanted to jump start Valentines week with a wonderful Saturday brunch at home. Enter the "Quiche your heart out" recipe.
Total time: 45 minutes. Prep :15. Cook :30
- 2 deep dish frozen pie crusts
- Jimmy Dean Ground Sausage (maple, sage, or mild are best)
- 2TBL olive oil
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 2 drops Young Living Lemon Vitality Essential Oil (optional)
- 8 oz pack of shredded cheese (I use Kraft mild cheddar)
- 1 small yellow onion, sliced and chopped
- 1 cup spinach or arugula
- 1 teaspoon parsley (dried or fresh)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried or fresh)
- 1/4th teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- *Optional add-ins: dried pepper flakes, sliced mushrooms, or green pepper
Preheat oven to 400º. Place two pie shells on baking sheet. Press fork into crust to ventilate. Pre-cook shells for 5 minutes.
Add 1TBL olive oil and sausage to large skillet. Cook thoroughly until browned, while crumbling with a fork. Set aside in small bowl. Add onion to same pan with 1TBL olive oil. Season with salt/pepper. Cook 6 minutes until onions are are soft and browned. Toss in spinach or arugula until wilted. Add 1 drop YL Lemon Vitality oil to brighten flavor
While onions cook, in medium mixing bowl, crack eggs and whisk. Add milk, 1 drop YL Lemon Vitality oil, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, salt, pepper. Mix well adding air with whisk for fluffy eggs.
Remove pie crusts from oven. Spoon sausage, onion, greens into pie crusts, distributing evenly on bottom. Pour 1/2 egg mixture over sausage mix in each pie crust. Finally, sprinkle 1/2 bag of shredded cheese over each pie crust.
Bake for 30 minutes. Slice and show your Valentines some love.